Are you looking to spend some quality time with your family outdoors? Spend a night (or a week) at these family-friendly camping spots – and the best part is, they’re all within two hours of Syracuse.
Please note: Visit each website for more information about current COVID regulations.
- Buttermilk Falls State Park – Located on the outskirts of Ithaca, Buttermilk Falls State Park is home to waterfalls, gorges, hiking trails, and a natural pool. Cabin rentals are available.
Where: 112 E. Buttermilk Falls Road, Ithaca.
More information: (607) 273-5761. ny.gov/parks/buttermilkfalls/details.aspx.
- Cooperstown Beaver Valley Cabins & Campsites – This campground has no shortage of family-friendly amenities, including a kiddie pool, pedal boat rentals, an arcade, a fossil pit, and a playground. It is also a short drive from local attractions such as the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum and The Farmers’ Museum.
Where: 138 Towers Road, Milford.
More information: (607) 293-7324. beaver-valley.com.
- Delta Lake State Park – Did you know Lake Delta was first created in the early 1900s? Today, the state park’s grounds feature a beach for swimming, boat launches, picnic areas, playgrounds, hiking trails, and of course, a campground.
Where: 8797 NY-46, Rome.
More information: (315) 337-4670. parks.ny.gov/parks/deltalake/details.aspx.
- Herkimer Diamond Mines KOA Resort – After you spend the day searching for crystals, stay the night at Herkimer Diamond Mines’ KOA Resort. It offers themed cabins and lodges (including a tree house and a windmill), as well as a pool, frisbee golf and tubing on West Canada Creek. The Historic Erie Canal is also nearby.
Where: 4626 State Route 28, Herkimer.
More information: (315) 891-7355. herkimerdiamond.com.
- Kayuta Lake Campground – Kayuta Lake Campground offers something for every member of the family, including cornhole, ladder golf, volleyball, shuffleboard, fishing, and swimming. Archery, outdoor laser tag, canoe and kayak rentals, and an arcade are also available – for an extra fee.
Where: 10892 Campground Road, Forestport.
More information: (315) 831-5077. kayuta.com.
- Verona Beach State Park – Families can explore the park’s nine trails, relax on the shores of Oneida Lake, or grab a bite to eat at Teddy’s Treats (it also has a location at Delta Lake State Park). A few miles down the road is Sylvan Beach, home to an amusement park, arcade, and more.
Where: 6541 Lakeshore Road S., Verona Beach.
More information: ny.gov/parks/veronabeach/details.aspx.
- Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park – Looking for an option near Lake Ontario? Situated next to the Little Salmon River in Mexico, this campground has plenty of activities for children of all ages: miniature golf, fishing, tubing, gemstone mining, a jump pillow, a water balloon launch, an inflatable obstacle course, and more. It also holds themed weekends with related crafts and games.
Where: 601 County Route 16, Mexico.
More information: (315) 963-7096. jellystonecny.com.